Friday, July 11, 2008

Vicious Cycles….

The other day, I was talking to a taxi driver while on a fairly long tour. The chat started in the usual manner, like ‘How’s your day been so far?’, but the chat didn’t end in the usual way. Once the driver got to know that I do IT related work, he told me about his case, where he got a Bachelors Degree in IT from his home country and then a Management related Masters from Australia but still finding it hard to get a relevant job and driving taxis for a long time. I know that this is not a rare case, but the time he’s spent like this sounded way too long. He is ok for any job related to IT, even though his Masters is in something else. Anyway, I felt sorry for the guy as he pleaded to help him, so I told him that if he sends me the CV, I would see what I can do, at a minimum, I thought I would review his CV to give him some feedback so that he could attract some employers. I gave him my contact and mentioned opportunities where he can meet other people as well, which obviously helps in networking and eventually in employment prospects. He was over the moon, and sounded very enthusiastic and even offered to wait for my return trip after I finish my work at the destination, which he did, making it an extra long chat. He said he is going to send me the CV soon after he finishes his shift, like that very afternoon, the first thing after that shift, basically!

To this date, I have not received it. He didn’t pursue his own plea! This just shows the lack ok persistence and also not using opportunities presented to some people. Such people know that they need help, but don’t know how to get it. At the same time, they understand that they need to break the vicious cycle by trying hard, but don’t do the hard work to break it by trying out different things, they just live in that cycle complaining about various things for their fate. I hope such people be more courageous and persistence in achieving their dreams, so that they don’t limit them to just dreams but make them realities.

4 comments:

TheWhacksteR said...

your'e absolutely right. one needs to try hard to break free. it is easy to complain. but here's a scary thought, when do you actually know when you need to start breaking out? how do you figure it out if you're ALREADY complacent?? argh!

nice post

Ineshka said...

But maybe something happened to him Vishu... If he pleaded so much and seemed so eager, maybe something got in his way of contacting you... I feel sorry for him, there are so many people like that, it was very good of you to have offered to help him.. so many would have looked the other way..

Yasas Vishuddhi Abeywickrama said...

Thanks for the comments

thewhackster - I think its your own jusgement when you want to break free, however, it can be guided by people you trust and respect.

Ineshka - Yep, could well be, or he came to his own judgement that that effort of sending it off would be a waste. It depends on how everyone comes to conclusions. Wht I would think is, if the time spent is so small (like sending an email), even if doesnt workout, doesnt harm to give it a try! Rome wasnt bulit in a day, but someone gave it a try and it worked out well!

Anonymous said...

Americans everywhere humor A detention wow gold notice was written like this: a wow power leveling police car with stones, to win wow gold the detention center for seven wow power leveling days all-inclusive accommodation replica rolex Tour Value; hit send 2 a beautiful bracelet, wow power level fashionsuit, police transport; more more surprises , the former can enjoy free shaved 10; before the 100 can play with power leveling the dogs, the guests were presented massage sticks, electric shocks to CHEAPEST power leveling the dead skin beauty care services.