Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Top Ten Dead (Dying) IT Skills

Whilst going through this month's Computer World Magazine, I found this interesting article. They have done a study and have come-up with a list of dead or dying IT Skills that were considered very important at one time. The list is given below.

COBOL
Non relational DBMS
Non/IP networks
cc:Mail
Cold Fusion
C Programming
PowerBuilder
Certified Netware Engineers
PC Network Administrators
OS/2

The key message is, if someone is working hard now on one of these technologies, it's worthwhile to question whether it's the right investment.

I am not surprised at this list. However, I was under the impression that C Programming is still popular in some domains like Reserach/Science. I didn't think that PowerBuilder, Netware Engineers and PC Network administrators are getting obsolete as well.

It's amazing how fast things change in this industry. Some of these technologies have had a very high demand at one time but today no one wants them. This is a good eye opener to everyone who is involved in IT because if we don't up-skill ourselves and learn new things, we are going to be redundant in the near future.

The link to the full article is given below and I suggest reading it if you are doing something related to IT. It really shows how the IT landscape changes overtime.

https://webmail.adelaide.edu.au/horde/util/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerworld.com%2Faction%2Farticle.do%3Fcommand%3DviewArticleBasic%26articleId%3D9020942&Horde=eebc64d93ab451953fcfeaa6c2860349"

3 comments:

Ineshka said...

Hey Vish, I really hate reading these IT articles, so I wanna thank you for summarizing it :)... It's a rat race, isn't it, this IT business ?? :) Definitely not the thing for people like me :) Just proves one thing, everything about us evolves and nothing is forever :)

sapumal said...

I can't agree with your 'key message'. I need to highlight C programming a little bit.

First, the kernel driver development which obviously should be done in C is the highest paying programming job in the world. Everyday new hardware devices are appearing and we need to write drivers for them to support them on existing UNIX based operating systems. Also we need to write drivers for the portable devices which uses Linux. Every time the kernel enhancing whole lot of drivers need to be carefully ported again. Also various CPU based devices other than PCs are still programmed in C.

Secondly if you know anyone who has experience in kernel development my company is willing to pay considerably higher salary than person who have same amount of experience in Java or .NET get in any other organization.

Yasas Vishuddhi Abeywickrama said...

Ineshka, Thanks for the comment. Yes, its very true that everything evolves and thats a fact of Life I guess.


Sapumal, Thanks for your input. I was also thinking that C programming had a better demand , which I have mentioned in the post. But if the key message is misleading, I honestly appologise for that.

Your info here might be important and useful for most readers I guess.

If someone has this expertise and passion, might be worthwhile to contact Sapumal :)