Friday, December 8, 2006

Australian Computer Society

The Australian Computer Society (ACS) is the recognised association for Information & Communications Technology (ICT) professionals, attracting a large and active membership from all levels of the ICT industry. A member of the Australian Council of Professions, the ACS is the public voice of the ICT profession and the guardian of professional ethics and standards in the ICT industry, with a commitment to the wider community to ensure the beneficial use of ICT.

ACS has a very active branch network across Australia. Branches carry out great services to the IT industry. To be honest, I was surprised at first to see ACS branches being so active and doing so many events to deliver value to its members and the IT industry at large. For example, ACS Special Interst Groups (SIGs) are trully active and are doing a valuable service to their respective areas.

Now, I have also got the opportunity to join in these activities as I have been elected to the Executive Committee.

http://www.acs.org.au/sa/news/271006.htm

Regardless of being elected or not, I was determined to be involved in IT industry activities, but this has given me an official opportunity. I have a track record of being involved in such social activities. At school, apart from my studies, I was heavily involved in extra curricular activities, even after that, I continuously spent my time on many other social activities. However, I consider this as the greatest opportunity I ever had because it is directly about the industry I am involved in. My heartfelt thanks goes to Brenda Aynsley, the outgoing Chairman, for creating this path for me. I did not have much chance to work with her for that long, but I understand she has done a great service to the ACS over the years.

With the new Executive Committee, I am sure we are going to have an interesting year ahead. Professor Reg Coutts is the new Chairman and has indicated that he is interested in strategic changes to the Society. Board also has some new faces who seemed to be very capable.

No comments: